Information for the Speakers
THURSDAY 8 JUNE:
1. PRE-SYMPOSIUM WORKSHOP ‘Taking the Ache Out Of Shakespeare’: a workshop on teaching Shakespeare’s plays through performance, chiefly in secondary and tertiary education. The workshop invites local teachers, but symposium guests are very welcome as well. Please note that all participants must be willing to take active part in the workshop; you cannot be just a spectator.
FRIDAY 9 JUNE:
2. SYMPOSIUM DAY 1. Lunch will be served in the cafeteria in the same building.
3. PERFORMANCE: Much Ado About Nothing (17:00-19:00)
An outdoor promenade performance of the play (abridged to approximately an hour and a half) at Lund’s Open-Air Museum of Cultural History. NB: in case of seriously inclement weather, the play will be performed indoors instead, in one of the historic buildings of the Open-Air Museum.
4. BUFFET DINNER (beginning at approximately 19:30) at Kulturkrogen, the Museum Restaurant. Preceded by a glass of bubbly in the restaurant garden.
SATURDAY 10 JUNE:
5. SYMPOSIUM DAY 2 (half-day)
6a. EXCURSION TO ELSINORE (noon – approximately 20:00):
We will be leaving Lund by coach at 12:00. A light, packed lunch (suitable for consumption on the coach) will be provided, plus a brief talk underway on Beowulf, Hamlet, Dowland and other local heroes. The journey includes a short journey by ferry (about 15 to 20 minutes) from Helsingborg to Elsinore.
14:00-15:00 ‘In Hamlet’s World’: dramatized guided tour of Kronborg Castle, conducted by the sole survivor of the tragedy, Horatio.
15:00-16:00 time to stroll, buy coffee, visit the gift shop etc. English-speaking actors play sequences of Hamlet all over the castle all day.
16:00-17:00 a unique opportunity to sit in on the early rehearsals for Hamlet, in an English-speaking production directed by Lars Romann Engel for HamletScenen’s Shakespeare Festival (2-19 August, 2017).
17-17:30 Lars Romann Engel tells us about his Hamlet and about his work as Artistic Director of HamletScenen.
18:00: the coach leaves Elsinore, going by way of Copenhagen, Copenhagen Airport and the Øresund Bridge back to Sweden and Lund.
6b. The return to Lund will mark the end of the symposium; however, we will book a table at a restaurant, for a last optional get-together dinner where everyone chooses and pays for their own meal. If you are interested in this option, please tell us so that we know how many to book for.
7. For all the meals provided at the symposium: tell us if you are
a) vegetarian b) lactose intolerant c) allergic to gluten d) other (specify)
8. I would like to bring my partner
a) to all of these arrangements
b) to some of these arrangements, namely the following (specify)
9. I would like to leave the coach at Copenhagen Airport.